ST MICHAEL'S

Catholic Primary School

Achieving excellence and equity in schooling
Develop an inclusive educational environment
Encourage life-long learning
Reflect Gospel values

School history


St Michael's Catholic Primary School has been serving the Brunswick community for over sixty years. From humble beginnings in an old building on Clifton Road Brunswick Junction, St Michael's was opened in 1952 under the leadership and guidance of the Presentation Sisters.


Below is a timeline of significant events in the history of St Michael's School.




1922 - 12 Feb The Catholic Church in Brunswick Junction was officially opened and blessed.
   
1951 Parishioners in Brunswick Junction tried to establish their own private school, without success. Fr Cleary, the Harvey Parish Priest, issued an invitation to the Presentation Sisters to open a convent and school at Brunswick Junction.
   
1951 - 9 May The founding Sister, Ignatius Henry and Margaret Mary Eaton, arrived. They were joined two days later by Sister Anthony Houlahan.
   
1951 Father McSweeney was appointed the priest of the Harvey-Brunswick Junction parish. His first goal was to establish a Catholic primary school in the area.
   
1951 - 2 Sep The Presentation Convent was officially opened.
   
1952 The cheese factory was converted into a two-classroom school ready for the start of the 1952 school year with 60 pupils. This grew to 79 pupils later in the year.
   
1954 A three-room school officially opened. Term one saw 100 pupils attneding.
   
1965 A block of land was purchased which was to be used for a playground.
   
1975 Federal Government funding provided a resource centre, office and staffroom with storage attached. Monsignor Charles Cunningham was the Parish Priest. A lottery win by the Monsignor purchased equipment and a school bus.
   
1995 Sr Maura O'Connell is the last Presentation Sister to be the Principal of St Michael's. The Presentation Order withdraws from St Michael's.
   
1996 Acting Lay principal, Simon Casey is appointed. Internet access is set up in the school.
   
1997 Peter Sell is appointed the first lay Principal of St Michael's. Kindergarten is introduced.
   
1998 The Library is dedicated to Laurel Atherton. Ted Brophy is recognised as a volunteer in teaching computer technology.
2002 The school celebrates its 50th year of service.
   
2007 Maureen Tully is appointed Principal.
   
2010 BER funding sees the building of a new library, classroom, staff workroom and the undercover area.
   
2012 Phillip Rossiter is appointed Principal.